Serbia | World Cup Blog | ESPN Soccernet
World Cup home Blogs Home World Cup Blogs Home
Serbia
Posted by Alex Milic on 05/06/2010

Its been a long time since the national team has had a squad full of depth and balance. So in South Africa what lucky players will have the honor and privilege to represent their nation.

Here is my likely 23 for South Africa without many surprises.

Goalkeepers
Vladimir Stojkovic (Wigan)
Bojan Jorgacevic (Gent)
Andjelko Djuricic (UD Leiria)

Defenders
Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd)
Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea)
Aleksandar Lukovic (Udinese)
Aleksandar Kolarov (Lazio)
Antonio Rukavina (1860 Munich)
Neven Subotic (Borusia Dortmund)
Slobodan Rajkovic (FC Twente)

Midfield
Dejan Stankovic (Internazionale)
Nenad Milijas (Wolverhampton)
Gojko Kacar (Hertha Berlin)
Zdravko Kuzmanovic (Stuttgart)
Milos Ninkovic (Dynamo Kyiev)
Milos Krasic (CSKA Moskva)
Zoran Tosic (FC Koln)
Adem Ljajic (Fiorentina)
Milan Jovanovic (Liverpool)

Strikers
Marko Pantelic (Ajax)
Nikola Zigic (Valencia)
Danko Lazovic (Zenit)
Dragan Mrdja (Vojvodina)

Comments

Posted by Al-Literati-on on 05/06/2010

No Miralem Sulejmani? I'd say he's a better bet than Adem Ljajic, who hasn't quite set Fiorentina alight, and fresh from the disappointment of the Man U move breaking down.

One thing's for sure, that's a mean-looking defense. I won't back them to go too far, but Serbia will be a very difficult nut to crack if that defense stays fit.

Posted by Grobar on 05/06/2010

Srbija do tokija!!!

Posted by Grobar on 05/06/2010

Srbija do tokija!!!

Posted by Michael on 05/06/2010

As an Australian, when the World Cup draw was announced the 1 team, outside of Pot A, that I didn't want to get was Serbia. This squad here shows why. Incredible talent playing in all the big European leagues, players who are integral to their their club, players who have vast experience, and players who are regulalrly making an impact on the continental competitions.

Not only SHOULD Serbia get out of the Group Stage but a Quarter Final is a realistic goal

Posted by EhiteWeagles on 05/06/2010

That will be the bulk of the squad but do not be surprised to see Vlada Avramov and Ivan Obradovic included.

And also in my opinion Miralem Sulejmani should go, even though his form has not been great. He has the talent to go on and be one of the greats. He has that ability to change the game single handedly.

Posted by bea on 05/07/2010

to my friends max and egg in your great nation. go serbia!

Posted by Marko Ristic on 05/07/2010

Your squad includes many of the regulars that Antic has been calling up and using... unfortunately for you and me players like Ljajic and Jorgacevic will not be called up due to the simple fact that they haven't been used in the WC qualifying cycle.

I really hope Pavle Ninkov, who has been outstanding at Red Star this season gets a shot as a back up to Ivanovic. Mrdja and Ninkov really stood out in the game versus Japan.

I also think Brkic is a definite for the roster as he has been included in every squad.. which leaves the third GK spot open, which I see going to Isailovic due to his call-up's as well. I agree with you and would prefer Djuricic and Jorgacevic to come but something tells me only 1 of those faces a slim chance of making the squad.

One last question: Where is Ivan Obradovic? He has regained full fitness and has played the last three games for Zaragoza. Antic went and watched him vs Real Madrid.. Radomir even said he will be on the plane. I would take out Rajkovic.

Posted by alex milic on 05/07/2010

Ivan Obradovic will be there 90% if not more but Rajkovic is a long shot and he did win the league with Twente and also Obradovic played poorly in his last few Serbia games. It would be good to see Ninkov there as well.

Posted by Nik on 05/07/2010

A great squad and, unlike previous campaigns, no reliance on one or two key players but more of a rounded, strong team unit.

Serbia has a history of playing well against Germany, and there could be an upset on the cards there. I am not certain how they will handle the pace of Ghana - but the back 4 lineup has plenty of experience with a variety of attacking styles and should be able to bottle up the Ghanian attack. Australia is weaker than 4 years ago, and had a mixed bag of qualification and friendly results - but anything can happen during the world cup.

My money is on Serbia and Germany to qualify, possibly Serbia top of the group, with Ghana pushing and Australia having a disappointing campaign.

Posted by Drew on 05/07/2010

Sad that Sulejmani has regressed since his big money move to Ajax. Would be nice to think he had a chance of representing his country.

Posted by thomas on 06/22/2010