ESPN Soccernet - Correspondents - Rangers FC
soccernet blog

Vladimir Weiss produced another fantastic individual performance as Rangers romped to a 4-0 win over the helpless Hamilton Accies at Ibrox this afternoon.

The Slovakian winger got his name on the scoresheet twice with the first coming after a fine right-foot shot from long-range and the second from a free-kick which bobbled its way through the ruck of players and into the net despite the best efforts of Kenny Miller to get on the end of it.

Weiss' direct running had Hamilton players falling around the talented winger and he also won the penalty which Steven Whittaker converted.

© BBC Sport

After an abysmal performance in the Old Firm clash, Weiss and Rangers had to up the pace heading into a crucial month of fixtures. Weiss told the official Rangers website: "Today was another good game for me, but I don't really mind if I play well or not as long as I can help the team to get the points we need. The chat I had with the manager three weeks ago really helped me and since then I've tried to start every game well from the first whistle.

"As a team we started well from the first minute. Everyone looked sharp and from the first second we looked like we were going to win the game."

"The first goal didn't come until the 25th minute but we had the game under control and the team performance was brilliant."

"We have to take the positive things from that and continue these good performances."

Weiss' brilliant long-range effort came on 24 minutes and was deserved given Rangers had created a few good chances before-hand, in particular, Steven Davis who wriggled free inside the area and fired wide of the post.

The on-loan City winger was involved yet again with another fine piece of individual play and forced Hamilton defender Michael Devlin into making the foul which gave referee Brian Winter the only option of pointing to the spot. Whittaker stepped up after scoring on Monday night to blast home the second goal of the afternoon.

Weiss got on the scoresheet again on the stroke of half-time to give Rangers a comfortable lead going into the break.

The 3-goal margin allowed Walter Smith to give some game-time to Gregg Wylde and Maurice Edu who made his return to first-team action on Monday night. It was Wylde who had the instant impact with some excellent wing-play and he teed up McCulloch and Lafferty inside the box but neither could convert.

Rangers defender Sasa Papac could be out of Tuesday night's game with Inverness after the Bosnian hobbled off with a hamstring injury just after 70 minutes and was replaced by Richard Foster.

Maurice Edu got the fourth goal of the afternoon with just 8 minutes remaining to wrap up a convincing win for the champions. The ball fell nicely for Edu inside the box and he rammed home a sweet left-foot drive past Cerny.

Rangers: McGregor, Whittaker, Weir, Bougherra, Papac (Foster), Weiss (Wylde), Ness, McCulloch, Davis (Edu), Miller, Lafferty
Subs Not Used: Alexander, Webster, Jelavic, Beattie
Attendance: 44,639

Follow ESPNsoccernet's Football Correspondents on Twitter and Facebook


  Post your comment
Email Address:
characters left