With Round 37 history and the season ending on Sunday, permit a few questions from your faithful Yank who loves the beautiful game.
In no particular order and certainly not all encompassing for the players mentioned, I wonder:
1. Why does Robin Van Persie take so many corners? He bends them nicely with his strong left foot; however, he is lethal in the air and would seem to be an obvious choice to be near the net on all corners.
2. Why are there such whiners and divers in the Premier League? Ashley Young and Bobby Zamora are just two in a long list of players who disrespect the game.
3. Why can’t more players be as joyful as: Yakubu, Papiss Demba Cisse, Victor Moses, and Brad Friedel?
4. Why is there no joy with Bobby Zamora, Mario Balotelli and a long list of sour pusses?
5. Why can’t more players give their all like: Craig Bellamy, Jonas Guitierrez, Dirk Kuyt, Yohan Cabaye, Yossi Bennyoun, Kyle Walker, Park Ji Sung, Younes Kaboul, Tim Howard, Joe Hart, Petr Cech, and Ali Al Habsi?
6. Why do players insist on removing their jersey after scoring a goal? It means an automatic yellow card.
7. Why does UEFA insist on the stupid three yellow cards rule for the Champions League final?
8. Why can’t we have goal line video replays on all goals?
9. Why do the people in charge of the game think a jersey patch that reads “Respect” influences player’s actions on the pitch?
10. Why do so many players disregard the positioning shouts from their goalkeeper prior to a free kick?
11. Why is Martin Tyler allowed to continue announcing matches?
12. Why was Wolverhampton CEO Steve Morgan laughing at the end of the match that doomed his team to relegation?
On Monday I will offer observations on this season’s fantasy game on ESPN Soccernet. It will be a combination of positive comments and suggestions that I think could improve the game. Ahead of that blog entry, if you have ideas, pass them along.