ESPN Soccernet - Correspondents - Norwich City
Norwich City
Posted by Luke Smith on 12/20/2011

I feel jovial. This season of giving seems to have been a rich one thus far in Norfolk. Last weekend, Everton generously allotted us a single shot on target, which yielded a single goal and ultimately one single point. John Ruddy gifted us his best performance in a Norwich shirt and was thoughtful enough to save it for his former employers.

Paul Lambert gave us the most lavish gift of all; a diamond! The midfield four of Andrew Crofts, Andrew Surman, David Fox and Wes Hoolahan that were so consistent in midfield last season have been reunited for the last two matches and to strong effect.

So naturally, all eyes tonight will be focused on Molineux for what we hope will be Norwich’s next present opening ceremony. The Wolves defense were particularly kind in giving ex-Norwich forward Peter Crouch a late winner on Saturday. With that fresh in his mind, Mick McCarthy will be carrying an additional dose of frustration along with his typical misery as he plans to unleash his inner Scrooge and postpone this Canary Christmas.

Wolves have started this season as they did the last campaign. After 16 games they were 19th in the league with 12 points. That start was enough to earn them 17th on the final day of the season, but only just. Compare that with this season’s 17th position currently and 14 points, I would expect them to approach tonight’s game as a must win. At the beginning of the season, most Wolves fans would have penciled the words “three points” next to tonight’s fixture, but City’s competitive start to their return to the big league has to be a cause for concern for the Wanderers.

As is always the case, Paul Lambert will play the game to win. Even away from home, Norwich will feel like this is a winnable tie and with Holt and Morison dishing out goals like they are mince pies, Norwich will have every right to expect a result tonight.

I think John Ruddy still has one more Christmas gift that he’s wrapping as we speak; our first clean sheet. After seeing some resolute defending against Everton I’m confident that it’s just around the corner.

So here’s my prediction:
A tight affair, but City to take all three points in a 1-0 away win. Grant Holt to continue his goal scoring form.

So get involved. Three hours until kickoff, who will take the Spoils in the West Midlands tonight? Respond with your predictions.

OTBC

Comments

Posted by Arthur Pennyworth on 12/20/2011

Well, I predict a jolly good old scrap. But It's a 2-2 for me Mr Smith.

Posted by Dylan or The Alamo fame on 12/20/2011

Decent read. I think Mick will get his players bang up for this as they have the mighty Arsenal up next, so I will go for a 2-1 win.
Wolves spitting birdie feathers come full time.

Posted by Mystic Meg on 12/20/2011

I see a tightly contested first half between both sides but Norwich's persistence and work rate will pay off at the start of the 2nd half with a goal from Grant Holt. What will follow will can best be described as a rapid deterioration; Norwich net another couple of goals through Hoolahan and another from Holt as the Wolves defense crumbles. You heard it here first; Wolves 0: Norwich 3. OTBC

Posted by Mystic Meg on 12/20/2011

@Arthur Pennyworth - you're off your head - there's no way Ruddy will let 2 passed him.

Posted by Doug on 12/20/2011

Enjoyed the post. I think Holt will have a strong game with 1 goal. Plus another goal coming else where, to carry Norwich passed the Wolves for the first shutout of the season!
OTBC

Posted by Swifty on 12/20/2011

This has a 'good old scrap' written all over it! As a neutral, I think Norwich will edge this one. My prediction is 2-1 Norwich. Don't think Mick's boys will have what it takes.

Posted by Bazza belch on 12/20/2011

Great posts, I'm an avid fan... Norwich clean sheet, with a solo 42nd minute Grant Holt screaming header... Come on you yellas!

Posted by Dangerous Daws on 12/20/2011

The sheets after this match will be comparable to a French bordello's after a busy Saturday night, far from clean.

Holts on for his 100th league appearance so is destined to score, but that doesn't mean Wolves won't be without chances. Morison will steal the show though.

Norwich 4 Wolves 2

Posted by Luke on 12/21/2011

Arthur Pennyworth strikes again! 2-2 it was and a spot on prediction from APW.

...Well played!

Comments:
David Young Luke Smith: I'm 27 years old and addicted to Norwich City. If I could be anyone other than me, I'd be Michael Wynn-Jones. Greatest Norwich moment was Delia's pitch-side rant. Worst Norwich moment was Daryl Sutch's penalty in the 2002 Championship playoff final. I believe loyalty yields better fans than victory. We've suffered over the years, but I genuinely believe we're staying in the Premier League for a while. I've never even been to Ipswich. The train from Norwich to London passes through Ipswich and even their train station makes me gag. Please feel free to follow me on Twitter @Norwich_Canary. OTBC