ESPN Soccernet - Correspondents - Manchester City
Manchester City
Posted by Wallace Poulter on 09/02/2010

The general consensus in the media seems to be that this summer's transfer window has been something of a let down with only City splashing the cash. However initial impressions can be deceiving. While there may have been very few blockbuster transfers there have instead been a lot of quality moves, often for reasonable prices. Normally it is a struggle to list a good top 20 summer transfers. Not this year. When Sebastien Squillaci, Stephen Ireland, Martin Jiranek, Ivan Klasnic, Nascimento Ramires, Moussa Dembele, Raul Meireles, Asamoah Gyan and Sandro Raniere don't make the top 20, it's a very good year.

As with previous years players that have joined on loan are not considered.

20. Nikola Zigic Birmingham City from Valencia
Part of an ultimately impressive new talent influx at St. Andrews the tall Serbian was once said to be a target of City. Zigic didn't break through at Valencia but at every other stop in his career the former Red Star Belgrade striker has scored goals.

19. Aleksandar Kolarov Manchester City from Lazio
When you take a moment to look at the talent that Roberto Mancini brought in this summer the quality is quite impressive. Kolarov is an excellent fit for the Mancini diamond and should flourish once fit. The Serbian also comes with a fearsome reputation for excellent free kicks something that City have been missing since Elano departed the club.

18. Dan Gosling Newcastle from Everton
One that somewhat flew under the radar with Newcastle taking advantage of a paperwork snafu at Everton that allowed the Devon youngster to sign for free. The midfielder ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in March of this year and while likely to play this season will not be back to full fitness until the start of next season. If Newcastle have stayed in the Premier League Gosling will be in an excellent position to contribute significantly.

17. Kenwyne Jones Stoke City from Sunderland
In many ways the signing of the Trinidad & Tobago international is a statement of intent by Stoke that having spent two years in the Premier League it is now time to move up in the standings. The presence of Jones in the penalty area as a target for Rory Delap's long thrown ins is going to cause nightmares for opposing defenses.

16. Thomas Hitzlsperger West Ham from Lazio
It's good to see "Der Hammer" back in the Premier League after a stay in Germany and Italy. The former Aston Villa fan favourite is just the sort of combative midfielder that West Ham need and combined with Scott Parker should be the "crunchiest" midfield in the league!

15. Martin Petrov Bolton from Manchester City
For all the talk of Elano, Michael Johnson, Stephen Ireland and Dietmar Hamann it was Petrov that made the Sven era Manchester City tick. All the players in the City team naturally worked best with the focus on the attack coming down the left wing. When fit, and that's the issue, Petrov is a very talented individual. If the Bulgarian plays more than half of Bolton's games, look for the Trotters to be closer to the top ten than the bottom three.

14. Jean Beausejour Birmingham City from Club America
Yet another in the South American pipeline into the Midlands Beausejour is a tricky winger and just the sort of player that manager Alex McLeish can use to maximize the talents of Nikola Zigic. In my season overview I pegged Birmingham as a candidate to struggle. This pick up plus Hleb on loan and the Martin Jiranek transfer capped a quite superb final day of the transfer window for Birmingham and I now project Birmingham to comfortably stay up.

13. Laurent Koscielny Arsenal from Lorient
In two successive summer transfer windows Arsene Wenger has rebuilt the centre of Arsenal's defense with first the Belgian international Thomas Vermaelen joining from Ajax and now the Koscielny, a potential French international, joining from Ligue 1 Lorient. With both players aged 24 the potential for a long term championship foundation is very evident.

12. Yossi Benayoun Chelsea from Liverpool
Regular readers will recall that I am a huge fan of the Israeli winger and wanted him to sign for City when it became obvious that he was about to leave West Ham. At 5.5 million this is a great bit of business by Chelsea and I anticipate that Benayoun will play a significant part in their season.

11. Jerome Boateng Manchester City from Hamburg
What's not to like? Young, already an established German international with the ability to play both full back positions, a good attacking instinct and an excellent cross. Along with Kolarov, Boateng will be a key part of unlocking the opposition when they arrive at Eastlands and park the bus.

Part Two will conclude the Top 20 tomorrow...

Comments

Posted by CJB on 09/02/2010

No offence but you missed out big on Gyan and Ramires (and Meireles too).

Wallace Reply I think given the issues with Brazilian players in the Premier League that it is wise to wait on Ramires. Gyan is a player whose value has been increased by a successful World Cup. I am always leery of such players; teams normally over pay for average performers. You may be right about Mieireles. He was the last man out of the list and if he settles could be useful.

Posted by someone on 09/02/2010

I'm actually anticipating Chamakh and Hleb to be on the top 10

Chamakh has been such a consistent force for all the matches he has played in.

And putting "Hleb" and "in Birmingham City" together is nothing short of magical transfer season for Alex McLeish.

Wallace Poulter Hlbeb has joined Birmingham on loan and so doesn't qualify for my list. But unarguably a great pick up.

Posted by Ola on 09/02/2010

How can you put an injured player (gosling)
And an over rated also injured striker (kenwyne Jones)in your list. U seem to appreciate the value of buying players that are on crutches.
Man U 4 life

Posted by Liam on 09/02/2010

What teams (besides cheeky Birmingham and loaded Man City) do you think were most successful during the transfer window?

IMO, Fulham did well to get Dembele, Salcido, Halliche, while keeping Schwarzer.

Stoke managed to really upgrade their attack with Kenwyne Jones, Eidur Gudjohnsen, and Jermaine Pennant.

Finally, I thought West Ham made some smart purchases. Barrera's looked good. So has Piquionne. They are definitely much deeper with Reid, Hitzlsperger, and Ben-Haim.

Wallace Reply Fulham didn't have any player make my top 20 and yet I was impressed with their signings. Getting Lauri Dalla Valle as a throw in as part of the Konchesky deal was a fine piece of business.

Liverpool to me had a great transfer window. Meireles strikes me as rather useful while Christian Poulsen may well be the bargain of the summer for any transfer where a fee was paid. Brad Jones is a good back up keeper and along with Konchesky helped Liverpool reach the eight home grown player rule. Certainly I think Roy Hodgson over paid for the former Fulham full back but he provides stability in the one glaring area of weakness that Liverpool had going into the season.

Danny Wilson arrived from Rangers and if he develops will be a rock in the centre of defense for years. Also at the start of the window Liverpool brought in Charlton starlet Jonjo Shelvey a deal that was announced last season but could only happen once the window opened.

Which leaves the two free transfers of significance, Milan Jovanović and Joe Cole. I'm a huge admirer of Cole and believe his presence will help Gerrard thrive again for the club and Jovanovic has been pegged as a winger by most but I'd like to see what Hodgson can do with him in a striker role. His ratio of a goal nearly every other game while in Belgium was excellent.

Posted by yadu on 09/02/2010

just because a brazilian screwed Man City happiness for two years, u cant put a generalized statement here, we all believe ramires is a top class signing and Jo is one for the future..

Wallace Reply Actually it has nothing to do with Robinho. I've written in the past about the curious situation with Brazilians and the Premier League. Only Juninho at Middlesbrough and now more recently Denilson at Arsenal have had any sustained success in the Premier League. Therefore while Ramires is a talent it is a bigger gamble than most that Chelsea has made.

Posted by Steve Louis on 09/02/2010

I'm a Liverpool fan, but have enjoyed reading your posts simply because you seem to put much more effort than many of the other correspondents (tipping Liverpool for a good season also).

But I noticed that while you nearly always have an in-depth game recap post, such as when the Citizens demolished Liverpool at Eastlands, a certain trip to the Stadium of Light went unreported?

Wallace Reply Alas I missed the game. From the reports I've seen it sounds like that City played well enough, the Tevez miss notwithstanding, but Sunderland chased and harried the City midfield and took away the initiative. Sunderland are an under appreciated side and Steve Bruce has put together a pretty decent squad. I would have liked Cana to stay to see what they could have done this year, but otherwise they are going to sneak up on people. The away form is an issue obviously however at home Sunderland are useful. A point would have been a good result.

Posted by mickeysoo on 09/02/2010

I think meireless should have been in this line up even though he is yet to kick a ball for Liverpool.a tigerish and a serious footballer.box to box capability and one not to shirk from tackles.

Wallace Reply I'm quite willing to hold up my hand at the end of the year and say I'm wrong. If he's very good, I really like Liverpool this year and moving forward. Hodgson is building a nice team.

Posted by james hootsmans on 09/02/2010

you forgot about gilberto silva and edu, two brazilians who were very successful in the premiership for arsenal... both players are very similar to ramires..

Wallace Reply Never was overly impressed with with either Silva or Edu. Good certainly, but not outstanding.

Posted by zee on 09/02/2010

nice article

Posted by Ibrahim on 09/02/2010

Can anyone tell me why David silva is not ther in this list...he is not worth top 10 so i expected jim in todays list..

Posted by Kenny on 09/02/2010

The absence of Chamakh and the " Never was overly impressed with with either Silva or Edu. Good certainly, but not outstanding." statement certainly tells me of the quality of writer they have in this blog. You shld watch more soccer matches.

Firstly, your assesment of Gilberto Silva being good and not outstanding certainly tells of the "depth" you see things. When were players like makelele, scott parker, alex song, mascherano or nigel de jong outstanding? Dan Gosling outstanding? Or rather outstandingly injured?

More surprisingly would be the statement
"Boateng will be a key part of unlocking the opposition when they arrive at Eastlands and park the bus."
With 3 defensive midfielders, which manager is stupid enough to park a bus with a team so focus on defence? Man city will be instead have a bus parked permanently rather than other teams.

Lastly, "Zigic didn't break through at Valencia but at every other stop in his career the former Red Star Belgrade striker has score

Wallace Reply It's a misnomer to say that City have 3 defensive midfielders (DMC) and one that I have been guilty of as well. Better to day that City have three ball winning midfielders, only de Jong is a true DMC.

It's a common misunderstanding that the diamond that Mancini employs is negative. Such a formation is designed to maintain possession but creative midfielder and full backs have an important role to play. We've yet to see City at full strength using this formation.

Chamakh is absent from the list because this is #20-11 of the top 20.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Silva and Edu.

Gosling while currently injured is a quality long term purchase that should pay off rather well for the Magpies.

Posted by JoonKiat on 09/02/2010

I Hope Ben arfa loan deal to Newcastle is in your top 20 list. :)

Cheers.

Wallace Reply Loans are not included as they are not permanent transfers.

Posted by Kenny on 09/02/2010

continued.....
you put Zigic in the list for a reason like scoring in all stops of his career and couldnt break through at all. I can see you putting players like MIDO, Jason Roberts and Harewood in any top ten list whenever they get transferred.

Pls show some professionalism by replying to my 2 post as no vularities, obscenities has been used.

Wallace Reply The players that you have listed have no relation to Zigic. His height should cause some real issues in the Premier League this season.

Posted by Nick G on 09/02/2010

Nice post. Although I think Meireles is a fantastic signing for Liverpool and deserves a top 20 spot. Granted, he is filling a void left by Mascherano so his arrival may not "change" things a lot, but I think the Reds are better off with him than Mascherano. He adds the dimension of a CM/CDM who can create plays, not just be an enforcer.

Lord knows Skrtel brings Pool enough cards as it is, hopefully Mereiles can have a cleaner record than Javi but still land some clutch tackles...

Glad u mentioned Hitzlsperger, I forgot about that one!

Wallace Reply Definitely hearing from the pro Meireles crowd and looking forward to seeing him play.

Posted by faris on 09/02/2010

what about van der vaart?

Wallace Reply patience...

Posted by Seru on 09/02/2010

man city wont do nothing this season,its going to take a year or 2 to get the chemistry goin...man united i think will win it this season...they were so close last season with rooney injured he basically carried the whole team,now they have some offensive enforcment to help rooney out because berbatov is no good and owen needs to go retire in MLS or something...and now Jose Mourinho coaching real madrid its going to be taugher for barcelona but i belive they will come out on top again the signin of villa definetly fits in well since most of them played together on spain team and we all know villa can score goals he carried valencia for years and he showed it again at world cup.....let me know what you think of my opinions tnx

Wallace Reply how quickly City come together is I believe the difference between 6th and the Champions League.

Posted by ajibola S ajayi on 09/03/2010

Good Team ...keep it up.

Posted by jake on 09/03/2010

not a bad list. i would leave ramires off as well, and im a chelsea fan. Brazilians dont fare too well in england. Ramires seems a little more grounded than robinho, but still i wonder. he'll have his work cut out for him trying to get into the team ahead of the essien/mikel duo. they are really keeping out the goals this year so far.

Wallace Reply yes... part of my logic process also.

Posted by Tyler on 09/03/2010

I don't like how you say Ramires will be a gamble just because he is brazilian, he is a quality player, and he does not need to come in right away and make a huge impact, he can take his time to adjust. Florent Malouda had a bad first season at chelsea, and an average second season, now he is one of most important players on the squad. Ramires has the luxury that Robinho did not have, and that was to be a major hit right away. Besides, our other brazilians Alex and the recent Belletti have been successful for the club

Posted by Pk13 on 09/03/2010

Hi Wallace,
Just wanted to say how much i appreciate the work that you do. I am an Australian Liverpool supporter but i look forward to your column as much as anything else that is put out on this site. Just wanted to weigh in on the Gyan thing, for me, Gyan smacks of El Hadji Diouf, he'll be solid but not spectacular. I don't think that he really lit the world on fire at the world cup and i'm not sure that his pedigree would suggest that he has the capacity to be a consistent top notch performer. Expect him to hit some goals but not more than 5-8 per season.

Wallace Reply Projecting Liverpool in the top three has apparently done wonders to my reputation on Merseyside. Gyan feels like a reach.

Posted by che on 09/03/2010

I would think Van der vart would be close to number 1. What a bargain at 8 million, compared to the ridiculous prices Man city pay for all their players!

Wallace Reply "Triffic" move indeed

Posted by micky-2-times on 09/03/2010

Hi Wallace, city were poor in the second half against Sunderland, but probably deserved a point. Is it me or does anyone feel very nervous any time city play away? We need to play better and beat teams like sunderland, stoke, everton away from hope. These are tough places to go to though.
Think your Liverpool transers are bogus and think the pool will not finish top 4 this season.

Wallace Reply To be in the top City should aim for 76 points, which is an average of two points a game. So yes the team needs to start winning away from home.

Posted by Irtiza on 09/03/2010

Can I predict the top 5? In no particular order..

Van der Vaart, Hernandez, Cole, Chamakh, Milner.

And I expect Gallas, Balotelli and David Silva to be in the top 10 too.

Wallace Reply Not quite but not bad either... stay tuned.

Posted by matthew dawanyi on 09/03/2010

i totally agree with u wallace on Gyan and history tells of of such players,look at Diuof after the 2002 world cup where he became a darling who ended up as just a flash in the pan,gut nothing against Gyan but if u just followed him in the past Afcon tournaments the guy needed 1 out of 15 chances to score and his penalty miss never surprised me.

Posted by Scott on 09/03/2010

No offense, but Gyan is a joke to me. Thank you for not jumping on that bandwagon...atleast not yet. You people love him cuz of his weak dance move that he does when he scores easy goals. Looking forward to see the brazilian at Liverpool but it won't really matter...Man U. takes it all in thrilling fashion. Cheers.

Posted by Andrew on 09/03/2010

just wanna say good article

but i think top summer transfers should include morihunio to RM

Wallace Reply This is only the Top 20 as I see if into the Premier League but a very valid point. Mourinho will bring trophies to Real Madrid.

Posted by Rowan on 09/03/2010

I'm interested in your idea that Jovanovic might be better up front at Liverpool than on the wing.

I believe his natural position is dribbling in from LF in a 'christmas tree' 4-3-2-1, a formation I think Hodgson almost certainly won't use, given that he's offloaded our more attacking LWB (Insua) and that that system needs attacking FBs or WBs to open up the pitch (see Kolarov and Boateng at City). Still, J. has the power and control to be dangerous up front, though he's not a natural predator like Torres.

I think instead Hodgson will flirt with him as a second striker to Torres, but mainly use him at LM, since the club have too few options on that flank. Cole can play there but probably doesn't want to (Likewise Gerrard); Kuyt can but is better on the right; Babel doesn't cross well on his left. Really surprised Hodgson didn't go in for Duff from his old club - I expect he would've been fairly cheap and would have fixed that problem right up.

Anyway, great article, as usual!

Wallace Reply Would be curious to see a 4-4-2 with Kuyt on one wing and Cole on the other, even though I think Cole is best as an Attacking Midfielder in a 4-2-3-1.

Posted by nii annan patterson on 09/03/2010

what is Bebeto and Romario of brasil currently doing with lives afther retireinng from football?

Wallace Reply Bebeto had a short stint as a manager at America, a club in Brazil at the end of last year and beginning of this. Curiously in doing so Bebeto missed Romario's final game the previous month...

Posted by Bikky on 09/03/2010

Hi,
I think you should write a similiar article about La Liga as well. Great article by the way.

Please consider,
Thanks,
Bikky

Posted by yakism on 09/03/2010

Many will agree with me that (one of) the best signing of this summer is Yaya Toure. Won't be surprised to see him rank #1 on your list.

Wallace Reply Part Two is now up for all to see...

Posted by Ken on 09/03/2010

Nice article and good pieces of analysis. I do believe you are looking at things very deep and have much understanding of the game. It is just that you decided to speak things in the neutral perspectives.

Great minds think alike! I do agree upon most of your points (gyan, LVP will do well and City will stay btw 6th and CL, etc) and yes, sometimes you can't satisfy most of the readers.

Posted by Jbatt on 09/03/2010

Hey,
CFC boy myself, but cant help wondering what we are doing for the future.....ramires is young but wont fit into a team with the likes of essien and obi mikel already doing their job. In the next 5 years (I hate to admit it), Man United and City are going to be miles ahead with some great younger signings. That said i can also tell you the top three biggest flops our from those respective teams as well. 30 million for silva is just insane! and 7.4 million for a player (Bebe) Sir Alex didnt even watch playing a game. Also in my opinio balotelli could be the next robinho at City. WHo do you think are some of the big flops of the EPL?

Wallace Reply The biggest flops in the EPL are the managers who don't give foreign players long enough to acclimatize. It used to be said that it took at least 18 months for a foreign player to get used to the English game and the English climate/culture. Now if a player isn't an instant hit he's deemed a flop and invariably sent packing.

Posted by Patrick on 09/03/2010

Wallace,

Day 2? "I'm waiting!"

Wallace Reply o ye of little faith...

Posted by Jason on 09/04/2010

I didn't have time to read all the comments, so this may have been discussed, but Yaya Toure is a far better attacker than most give him credit for. He and Barry are both strong players with excellent passing range and the ability to get in the box and score goals. The only reason Toure was ever considered a true CDM was because he played with Xavi and Iniesta, and anyone will look like a stolid, defensive player next to them.

Wallace Reply I knew Toure was good and that his lack of playing in Barcelona was mainly political. However now that I have seen him play some more I'm convinced that he as the potential to be a Vieira like figure for the club.

Posted by LFC fan on 09/04/2010

Benayoun is not a great player as he is not physically strong, his crossing is not great too but i concede his dribbling is quite good. With his minimal playing time i can hardly see him being a significant part of chelsea.

Posted by SHAFIQ on 09/04/2010

Javier hernandez was also a great signing,why is it he is not even in top 20,petrov going to city was still not called a great transfer...

Wallace Reply There are two parts....

Posted by Hala Madrid on 09/04/2010

Was browsing through some of your comments and would just like to bounce of you and say that i do not consider robinho to be the biggest "flop" ever in the premier league. robinho scored 14 goals in 30 games his first premier league season. then because of injuries and fall outs with hughes (idiot) and mancini he had a pretty mediocre second season with city and was labeled a flop because of his record transfer price. he went to santos for playing time and absolutely dominated the scene over there and had a pretty decent world cup with brazil. he is going to tear it up in milan with ibra, pato and co.

Wallace Reply Robinho is the final piece in a puzzle rather than the foundation of a team looking to grow.

Posted by RAJA on 09/04/2010

RAFAEL VAN DER VAART WILL MAKE BIG IMPACT FOR SPURS..COME ON SPURS!!

Posted by ghana123 on 09/04/2010

finally robiniho has moved . man city was sure to ruin his entire career

Posted by ethan on 09/04/2010

wow, how do you not call someone who had the defencive midfield role named after him an outstanding player? Besides Makelele the other players the guy mentioned above i guess arent 'outstanding' but Ramires is so much better then Mikel, the only reason he looks so good this season is because Essien keeps cleaning up Mikels mistakes, Dunga himself stated that with out him in the Brazilian side against the Netherlands, they were a much weaker team.
Yossi? Really? he is a bit player, no way will he dispatch Lampard, or Malouda and Ramires will take over for Mikel so for the money that was spent yes it couldve been a good signing but for his age, Chelsea wanted to lower the age but they couldnt sort out a deal with Cole and baught an older player to replace him? hopefully he can perform like those older then him, personaly i wouldve put Essien in your top 20, getting him back from being injured is better then any signing any team coulve made.

Wallace Reply Benayoun adds an element that I feel is missing at Chelsea. You'll get no arguments from me about Essien, quality player.

Posted by Isaac Ayala on 09/04/2010

here is my top 10
10.benayoun to chelsea from liverpool
9.borriello to roma from milan
8.di maria to real from benfica
7. prince boateng to milan from portsmouth
6. balloteli to city from inter
5.silva to city from valencia
4. van der vaart to spurs from real madrid
3. Robinho to milan from city
2.villa to barca from valencia
1. ibra to milan from barca

Wallace Reply My list is players joining the Premier League but some interesting ones in this list.

Posted by John on 09/04/2010

I dont think Ramirez is going to have an easy task strolling into the Chelsea first 11, considering the fantastic way they have started the season. Mikel is in top form and has added an attacking dimension to his game, with the long passes to the forwards from deep positions, Essien as always is a class act when fit and of course we all know the outstanding qualities of Frankie Lamps. So Ramirez becoming a regular in the chelsea midfield is definitely not going to be a walk in the park. However he is an outstandinding player and it will be fun to see how events unfold.

Posted by ruairi macdonaill on 09/05/2010

As a fairly long-standing Manchester City supporter (circa their FB Championship days)(& a heartfelt wish of success to the toffees of Everton each season, with two matches excluded, of course...), I can't resist questioning a few of the claims of a couple of other posters. a.) Fascinating that one Mr. Hughes would be dismissed as "stupid" vis-a-vis Robinho, given the role that Hughes played in the transforming City from EPL bubble team/mid bottom table side into one that long celebrated Premiership heavyweights had to both respect and eventually take seriously. Guess you're smarter, though...
b.) Robinho: Talented? no question Better off at Milan? absolutely. A victim of some politics/managerial disfavor? Seems so. BUT, last year, I can't think of a single City player more consistently uninvolved in the game play than Robinho...This isn't to judge him or explain why, but I am hard-pressed to find more than a few short moments where he was involved more than the line judge on pitch.

Posted by mountain on 09/05/2010

you guys should stop hating on Mikel...ramires better than mikel.. i dont think so, i dont think he can break into that chelsea midfeild..atleast not this season

Posted by rom on 09/06/2010

Chicharito??

Wallace Reply Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez, United's new forward to partner Santa Claus...

Posted by Jagmeet Singh on 09/06/2010

I certainly think that Joe Cole has been a very good buy for free , altough he has had a bad start.I'm sure with time he will take the Reds foward.From what I have so far seen from Yaya Toure , i have got to say , he is the best summer buy.Looking forward to seeing him in your top 5 atleast.Plus i would be dissapointed to see Chamakh in the top 10.Top 20 maybe but not top 10.He is their main talisman yet its Walcott thats stealing the headlines from him!How did he only get 1 goal against Blackpool ?

Posted by Bogere.Charlton on 09/06/2010

Thanks for your article
My biggest flop should be mark Hughes at the Eastlands he had the money to buy any player he wants but he ostentetiously went in for players who could not help the team reach the UEFA champion league trophy(Kolo toure,Adebayor,santa cruiz,patrick Viera,.i think if they had got a better manger last season wouldn't have been a deserster for them

Wallace Reply Vieira was signed by Mancini. I understand what Hughes was doing, he was building a squad foundation based on players that knew the Premier League and would not require time to settle. There's a logic to that. The problem I had with Hughes was that his issues with Elano cost the club points.

Posted by bob subi on 09/07/2010

i thing it is good this time for roberto macicni to win the english premiship

Wallace Reply I'd be stunned, delighted of course, but stunned if that happened. The Big 4 have so much momentum from years of Champions League cash that it is highly improbably that anyone will crash their party without at least one year in the Champions League places.

Comments:
Wallace Poulter Wallace Poulter is an award winning video game producer, designer, industry consultant and writer. He has been a football fanatic since the day he moved in next door to Brian Clough. "Cloughie" being the acknowledged genius that he was promptly moved out and went to manage Derby. A serviceable senior school left-back in his youth, Poulter played one season of Sunday league football as a striker proving conclusively that he was a serviceable senior school left-back! Today Poulter remains involved with football as a licensed referee and most recently as a consultant on a Football MMO.