ESPN Soccernet - Correspondents - Juventus FC
Juventus FC
Posted by Sumeet Paul on 07/10/2012

With Euro 2012 no longer satisfying our need for football during the barren summer months, attention progressively switches back to domestic matters. It's been an eventful summer for Juventus both on and off the field. New signings, allegations levelled at Antonio Conte and memorable performances from the Bianconeri contingent in Poland and Ukraine.

The 2012/13 season marks the beginning of a Scudetto defence, a season without Ale Del Piero, a season to follow up an unbeaten campaign. Juve have a real opportunity to begin a cycle of dominance, while the Old Lady will also take her place amongst Europe’s elite once more.

No time has been wasted in adding both quality and substance to the squad, with Beppe Marotta drafting in several new faces. Sebastian Giovinco returns to Turin following his successful spell at Parma, and from a club and player perspective, it is hoped he will earn and receive adequate playing time. Martin Caceres has completed a permanent transfer, and is joined by the former Udinese duo of Mauricio Isla and Kwadwo Asamoah. Other notable additions include young ‘keeper Nicola Leali from Brescia, and veteran Brazilian centre-back Lucio from Inter. Having held on to the integral individuals from last year’s success, the squad now looks more complete and significantly stronger.

Rumours circulate, and will continue to do so until the transfer market closes, regarding players linked with a move to Turin. From Robin Van Persie, via Marco Verratti to Stevan Jovetic, it is fairly certain there will be at least one more new face before the season begins. Juve will of course be in action early next month, as they travel to Beijing to take on Napoli in the Italian Super Cup on August 11. Victory in China would represent a perfect start to the new season, and could potentially lead the way to more trophies as the season progresses. Milan will undoubtedly challenge for the Scudetto, despite the loss of several key figures. The rebuilding process at Inter under Andrea Stramaccioni will bring success, while Napoli and Roma can also be considered contenders. As ever on the dawn of a new Serie A season, the competitiveness of the league makes for an intriguing year with predictions hard to make.

Ideally the controversy surrounding Conte will have ended ahead of pre-season plans. The former Siena coach will be questioned over his alleged role in the match-fixing scandal (while with Siena) on July 13. While we hope for a swift and positive outcome, this season could arguably be considered more important that Conte’s first in charge. It is impossible to expect a season like the previous, but it has the ability to lay the foundations for the next few. Juve exceeded many expectations last year, not just in winning the title but remaining undefeated. Having showed their ability but also capabilities, can they go on to remain at the top and re-establish themselves in Europe?

There will be a full season preview here ahead of the Italian Super Cup, while transfers will continually be added!

For all the latest Juve and Serie A news, you can follow me on Twitter @italiafooty

Comments

Posted by I like Juve on 07/10/2012

Hi sumeet!

First of all let me congratulate you on what was a very intelligent blog in the Euro's. Kudos, your blog was one of the best.

As for Juve, they are my favourite team in Italy at the moment, and I really hope they win the league again this season ahead of Milan, and most importantly do very well in the UCL.

The point I'd like to make is that I think Juve need a top class Striker in order to do well, not RVP as I think he would be too risky with injuries, but perhaps someone like Huntelaar would be a great addition. Also some creative dynamite alongside Pirlo would be great. (e.g Robben, or perhaps someone similar who's less injury prone).

That just my opinion. Please write more, I love your posts.

Forza Juve!!

Posted by decina on 07/10/2012

Glad you're back and writing about our bianconeri. I was thrilled to see our Juve show well in the Euro campaign; it was frustrating that on the biggest stage their exhaustion got to them.
I'm excited for this season if not curious as well. With lucio coming in are we focusing on a 3 back system now or are we just looking to have more support for a strong champions league campaign?
I see elja is out the door, does that mean krasic is following soon? what about pepe? Hopefully we are holding on to giacherini.
Many people continue to say that we are still one great striker short, and i'd concur. It sounds as though rvp is out of the question, who is top on our list now?
What sort of starting xi do you see for our biggest matches? With our current roster I would think giovinco, vucinic, marchisio, vidal, isla, pirlo, giacherini, chiellini, lucio and barzagli. but to leave off bonucci or stephen or matri is tough.
I hope we can win a nother trophy this year, but two would be great!!!

Posted by Christian vitale on 07/10/2012

JUVE GAY JUVE GAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Tim on 07/11/2012

I like the additions we have made so far (Giovinco, Lucio, Isla, Pogba, Asamoah), but I think we still need to sign a world class striker and a reliable LB (not that De Ceglie wasn't awesome last year). For striker, I suggest Cavani as Van Persie is older and appears to be on the wrong side of his prime (he had a great year last year, but I highly doubt he can replicate it). Cavani is the young version of Di Natale (he scores 30 goals a year in Italian football). Cavani is fast, brilliant on the counter, and has a rocket for a foot. Additionally, I would like us to sign Balzaretti or another dependable LB. The defense is already stacked, but more depth always helps in the Champions League.

Posted by Gus on 07/11/2012

La vecchia signora need more new faces. As stated above a new world class finisher is a must. RVP...no way. He does not have the quality to do the job week in week out in serie A. A pure goalscorer is what we really need.

In Giovinco we have someone who can step into the shoes of ADP, perhaps not fill them but then again noone could.

Cavani or Gomez could be awesome.

In midfiled I dont think Juve have any real worries. Another wide man to add depth would be good to see.

In defence, we have the best array of centre backs in Europe, but lack real quality out wide. Juve have never replaced Andrea Fortunato (God bless you Andrea, RIP) on the left and although they have had some quality with Pesotto and Torricelli, and to a lesser extend Birindelli, our wide defence has been weaker than the centre. Lichstiener, de ceglie and Carecas can all do a job, but not to the standard of Chiellini et all. In goal..Buffon..Storari..Leali.. nuff said

Posted by Rudy on 07/11/2012

We need a good striker (cavani tevez aguero higuain) a good midfielder to fill pirlo's place (modric bale shweinstieger) and defender (de Rossi balzaretti)

Posted by Dino on 07/12/2012

Juve are just one world class striker away from an amazing team. They did a great job at adding more depth to an already amazing defense that only allowed 20 goals last season. Their depth in the midfield is great and it will be very difficult for players to compete for a spot in the starting xi with Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal playing as good as they did last year.
They only need a world class striker to complete their squad. RVP is a great player and I feel he can replicate his great season last year if he stays healthy. However, he is just to injury prone. Cavani would be a great addition and has proved he is a world class striker, but it doesn't look like the deal is going to happen. Hulk could be a good option for juve to consider. He is a strong forward and has champions league experience.
Whomever they choose I'm certain will help the team greatly and they will be strong contenders in the champions league and serie A.

Posted by juventini on 07/13/2012

yes, we need one world class striker.. I hope the man is higuain, but I'm also happy if we get RVP or especially cavani.. In my opinion cavani is better than RVP.. RVP is well known because he plays in EPL, but cavani he can prove himself in Napoli. I think in Juve he can score more goals, since we play attacking football.
One more face that I hope is veratti.. I think he is a great prospect for the future..

Posted by decina on 07/13/2012

does anyone know why pogba isn't on the summer training team? and why he isn't showing up on any of the squad lists? Is he going to be loaned out? I was really excited to see him being added to the roster.

Posted by Jim on 07/14/2012

Firstly, Pogba has yet to be announced by Juve as an official signing, the only person to announce it was Sir Alex about a month ago.
Secondly, and to my real point. As many people have said, I believe our two biggest needs are striker and LB.
At left back, I believe Balzaretti or Armero are our two best option. Both have played and are proven in Serie A. I would favor Armero over Bazlaretti purely because of his youth. If neither of them are available, Kolarov, who is rumored to be on the market would also do the job I believe De Cegile can not.
Striker is obviously Juve's biggest need. I feel Cavani would be the best replacement. He is younger than RVP and I feel just as talented. Torres could probably be bought for a reduced rate if Hulk signs for Chelsea. Higuain is also an incredible striker and would absolutely make Juve a CL contender. I think purchasing Destro would be a stellar move also. I think him or Jovetic will solidify Juve strikers for the future.

Posted by Daniel Duncan on 07/16/2012

Hey paul, absolutely luv comin here to read ur pieces, keep up the great work. Anyway Juve have an out standing midfield and defense already and with the new signings coming in we look very promising for the season ahead. I would of really liked Sorensen play in Juve, also since we didn't get Veratti, i think Sahin is an adequate replacement to support pirlo for this season. In attack we need to get some top strikers, dont like RVP cuz he he's Mr Glass, Cavani i luv but seems to pricey(ADL hoping to sell to some sheik) , Hugian would be a dream, so i would of gone with youth along with the strikers we have so Immoble,Balotelli,Jovetic,Diamio any three of them would be a dream play with loads of potential and 10+ yrs in front of them thoughtless of who comes in just make it happen soon.

Comments:
David Young After watching his first Serie A game as a youngster, Sumeet Paul has been an avid fan of Italian football ever since. Offering in-depth and opinionated views, coupled with a humourous element, he has a strong desire to become involved in sports writing. Pairing up his life's two greatest loves; football and talking, he would appreciate any feedback and general football conversation, you can email him at sumeetpaul7@googlemail.com or you can follow him on twitter @italiafooty