Japan | World Cup Blog | ESPN Soccernet
World Cup home Blogs Home World Cup Blogs Home
Japan
Posted by Kentaro Matsuura on 06/24/2010

With an incredible 3-1 victory of Denmark, Japan has made it to the knock-out stages of the World Cup for the first time on foreign soil! Spectacular free kicks by Keisuke Honda and Yasuhito Endo put Japan ahead 2-0 in the first half, and while a controversial penalty kick was awarded to Denmark late in the 2nd half, Japan were able to pull away with a goal by Okazaki in the 87th minute. Japan, who looked like the weakest of the 32 teams coming into the World Cup, has now shown the world what the Blue Samurai are truly capable of. I hope everyone is celebrating this historic result! (In-Depth Match Report to come!).

Comments

Posted by ze alan on 06/24/2010

congratulation to japan...i love to see more beautiful football from japan team...i hope they can reach quarter final..because if the reach there,spain will definitely their opponent...if spain can get a win in their final game in group H...and i hope japan can beat spain...gud luck in round of 16....

Posted by Anonymous on 06/24/2010

yayyyyy

Posted by Steve on 06/24/2010

Congrats!! What a strike by Honda & Endo!

Posted by Joe on 06/24/2010

Fantastic result and congrats to Japan!!! The spirit and teamwork shown by the players were really great!!! And it was a joy to watch goals from direct free-kicks, there hasnt been many goals scored from free kicks in this world cup so far, and congrats to Honda and Endo for the beautiful free kick!!! Good luck to Japan when they play Paraguay!!!

Posted by sunny on 06/24/2010

japan makes us proudddddddddddddddddddddddd

Posted by Fionnbarr Diamond on 06/24/2010

Omedeto gozaimashita. Totemo ureshikatta. I lived in Japan (Toyokawa City) during the 1990s and saw the development of the game and knew it was only a matter of time before a result like this would eventuate. I sincerely hope they continue this form. Yattaaaaaaaaa!

Posted by Jason on 06/24/2010

What a game! Ganbare Nippon!

Posted by teewai on 06/24/2010

I"m so happy for the Japanese,almost everybody wrote them off myself included.Makes me terribly ashamed of my country.It shows that sentiments don't produce results,only hard-work do!

Posted by cs on 06/25/2010

Proud of Japan. Enuff said.

Posted by bunt on 06/25/2010

congrats from s.korea on a good win japan. the more asian teams show up the world, the better. lets face off again in the finals.

Posted by Kei on 06/25/2010

The proudest sports moment of my life. Just goes to show you how much you can achieve in football with teamwork, spirit, hustle, guts, and a magic touch (or two!)

Us Japan supporters have suffered our share of heartbreaks over the years, but these are the moments that make our faith and loyalty to this team oh so worth it.

I'll be celebrating well into the night, for sure!

Posted by Nick on 06/25/2010

From an England fan, big congratulations to Japan for a well-earned spot in the last 16. Japan (and, in my opinion, the other East Asian teams) plays the game the way it was meant to be played; effort, discipline, organization and teamwork, and no cheating or diving to boot. And what skill on this team! The third goal was brilliant. Honda looks a fantastic player. Go Japan!

Posted by mimosa0224 on 06/25/2010

yattane!!!

It's really cool that fans from other countries have taken the time to comment. I'm so proud of what Samurai Japan, especially when expectations were so low before the games started.

Posted by Joseph G on 06/25/2010

Yattaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Congrats to Japan, waking up in the middle of the night to watch this match is so worth it. You are my number 1 Asia team. Go go Japan!!! Hope to see Japan achieve their goal.

Posted by j-girl on 06/25/2010

I agree with mimosa0224 - it is really cool that fans from other countries gave kind comments - arigato - yattayoooo nihon!!!

Posted by Majestrix on 06/25/2010

Japan played the game the way it meant to be.... Highly organized in defense except for that little push from Hasebe.... Creative in attack.... Understanding Jabulani, not complaining about it like others, no fake jumping and diving.... Good goal keeping from Kawashima.... and what else, everything went in their way. If they beat Paraguay, they will be one step closer to Okada's goal of reaching semis.

Wishing his dreams to come true, and hoping a great future ahead for Blue Samurais...

Posted by Masashi on 06/25/2010

I just can't help replaying the goals over and over again! Honda could well be the player to light up the tournament. ベスト4目指せ!!!

Posted by pheneo22 on 06/25/2010

I'm just sooooo happy, I'm lost for words.

Comments:

Kentaro Matsuura was born in Japan and following a move to the USA resorted to following the national team by renting video tapes in Chinatown. Most recently, Kentaro played for and ran the football club at his graduate school, where he studied business. He will join a consulting firm upon graduation.