ESPN Soccernet - Correspondents - FC Bayern Munich
FC Bayern Munich
Posted by Susie Schaaf on 08/20/2012

Javi Martinez is probably, more-likely-than-not, coming to Munich early next week. With all the reports and counter-reports, I'll try to sort you out.

Remember way back in the beginning of the transfer period Bayern was supposedly gunning for anyone who has played defensive midfield ever? Most rumors, as it turns out, are complete rubbish, (I know you're surprised!) and I've never been one to engage in unnecessary speculation. While reports of Sahin, de Jong and Pirlo circled as possibilities, Bayern only approached Bayer Leverkusen's Lars Bender and the oft-mentioned Javi Martinez from Athletic Bilbao. Bender- who scored the match winner against Denmark- along with Neverkusen rebuffed Munich's advances, and Javi emerged as the only contender.

Martinez' agent, Antonio Sanz, contradicted himself, and press, time-and-time-again- stating, "[he] wants to go to Bayern", "[he] wants to stay with Bilbao", and as recently as a couple of days ago: "No offer has been made". Rubbish. Perhaps we can glean information from more, errrr... reliable sources?

Javi and Juventus target Fernando Llorente were both left out of Bilbao's squad to face Betis in the season opener this weekend. The official word from the Basque club is that the move was for "player protection". Perhaps necessary after team practice on Friday, in Bilbao, where both players got the business from supporters?

But, besides the nonsense, "business" and contradictory statements, the only thing that is holding back this signing is a 6-8 million euro tax fee being levied against Javi Martinez in the deal as it stands right now. And both parties are trying, in Munich this weekend, to find a solution.

Can I state the painfully obvious and say: I am not a tax expert, in either Germany or Spain, and have no sound knowledge of how this all works. So, as I see it, the money that Martinez would be paying in to cancel his Bilbao contract is essentially in proxy because it is money he hasn't officially earned yet (2 million euro a year- over five years). And what little I know about the legality of everything is: 1) Bilbao is requiring Martinez to pay the buy-out. 2) The buy-out is paid direct to the league. 3) Martinez is Spanish so must pay taxes on it.

Capish? Not really?! Me either.

And contrary to English-speaking press, Athletico trainer Marcelo Bielsa in a recent press conference stated, “I never said that I would leave if Llorente or Javi were sold, I am satisfied with the team with or without Llorente. It is a difficult situation, because all the positions are understandable. Llorente is exercising his rights, while the club and the fans are understandable too, aside from the method of the protest which I do not share."

"If [the Javi transfer is] convenient or inconvenient, or expensive or cheap, [it] exceeds my analysis. Bayern know what they are doing at each step. They're an example of how to do things. If money is raised, I'm not thinking about doing more signings. I do not put conditions [on anything}."

It's not really a matter of "if". It's a matter of "when". I'm pegging the post-match conference against Regensburg, or the following morning as the official introduction. And as I've said before, Willkommen zu Bayern Muenchen, Javi Martinez!

You can (and should) follow Susie on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/fussballsusie

Comments

Posted by DB on 08/20/2012

just curious. If Javi is announced Monday or Tuesday, does he play Saturday?

Posted by Susie on 08/20/2012

DB-

Maybe for the last few minutes. Maybe. But certainly not any important stretch of time.

Posted by Lance Asser on 08/20/2012

This is a monster transfer for the Bundesliga..
A Spanish international in his early 20s and a player who wants to play for Bayern...i am a Hannover96 fan but i have full respect for Bayern pushing the boat out in terms of money to sign a wonderful player..
How close is the deal to completion?
And will Bayern sell any players once the deal is complete?
Lance

Posted by Lance Asser on 08/20/2012

This is a monster transfer for the Bundesliga..
How close is the deal to completion?
And will Bayern sell any players once the deal is complete?
Lance

Posted by Tony on 08/20/2012

Javi back on Bilbao training today with Llorente. Bayern bosses in Spain's LPF with Javi's agents. Question is, what exactly is Urrutia doing today? And I do hope it is not talking to a lawyer.

Posted by Johann on 08/20/2012

Hitzfeld, ever so wise, ever so cautious, reminded everyone that Javi will have tremendous expectation over his head when (not if?) he arrives. He will need time to adjust to a new league and the expectations of the Bayern management. He also warned of the risk that comes with such massive transfer fees (which really goes without saying), but I was very proud to read this particular line from one of my favorite former Bayern coaches: "How Martinez will deal with these insanely high expectations will be interesting. (There is) no Sheikh behind Bayern, it is hard-earned money."

Bayern may have had a few tough years as of late, but it is nice to remember that we support a great club that doesn't need a sugar daddy.

Posted by Samrin on 08/20/2012

Hi Susie,
Great stuff as usual Susie..:) I was wondering what the status of this transfer was- however, I will wait till he is officially signed because of what happened with Coentrao last year and what happened with RvNistelrooy (not sure about the year in that one), I agree with Otmar Hitzfeld on this one without a doubt. I am not sure I want him around (more than anything to do with the talent available than anything else). Anyways, do you want Martinez at Bayern, Susie?

Comments: