ESPN Soccernet - Correspondents - FC Bayern Munich
FC Bayern Munich
Posted by Susie Schaaf on 04/30/2012

Saturday afternoon saw Bayern Munich in better shape than I was after our respective trips to Madrid. And while it wasn't the most organized or exciting 90 minutes of football witnessed this season, it was a lovely way to send off Hans-Joerg Butt. Retiring from competition after these next three matches, Butt managed a clean sheet in front of a full house at the Allianz.

Butt will be fondly remembered by the Munich faithful for his four seasons of service for the Bavarian club. Everyone's favorite Bayern Butt moment? His penalty kick against Juventus in Champions League competition in '09. Ahhhhh... A sublime little slice of Bayern Muenchen history. He leaves professional competition with 496 total apperances and 29 goals (!). And for Bayern Munich, 80 appearances with 253 saves and one very memorable PK. Danke fuer alle, Herr Butt!

And, just one more time: Butt! Butt! Butt! Butt! Butt!

Monchengladbach defender Dante has finally put pen to paper, inking a four-year deal that will see the Brazilian at the Allianz through the '15-'16 season. This news, coupled with Daniel van Buyten re-upping for another season, gives some depth to our back four. Sorely needed, you think? These two signings probably mean, however, that Benedikt Hoewedes is off the radar. Four central defenders (none who are jailed for arson) should be just enough; where they'll all get plenty of playing time and Jupp Heynckes can rotate them as neccessary, as they all have different skill sets.

The final contract extension everyone has been waiting for has come to a last-minute halt. Arjen Robben balked just before all was supposed to be set; still angry over the dressing-room incident with Franck Ribery, and the "lack of support" about said incident by Heynckes. Ribery suffered a €50,000 fine, and all seemed to be mended between the two (yeah, fist-bump!): So what happened now? I can only imagine he wanted something stipulated in his contract that Bayern couldn't (wouldn't?) agree to. I mean, you can't contractually prevent a punch, can you?

And, the Premiere League comes sniffing around... Vultures.

I, honestly, don't see him going anywhere else and would be greatly surprised if it happened. Bayern has fought for Robben time and again, and the mercurial winger won't have it better anywhere else (see: Chelsea, Real Madrid). I just think he needs a little ego-stroking, and a couple of cups might just do the job.

Finally, what do you all think of the new away kits? A subliminal message to keep Arjen around? Coupled with everyone's parti-colored boots, I think they look like a pack of highliters. But, as a Florida Gator fan, I like the orange. And I already have a hoodie to match.

Strange to not have a mid-week match to write about. I'll see you all over the weekend.

Auf gehts, Bayern!

You can (and should) follow Susie on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/fussballsusie

Comments

Posted by Judson on 04/30/2012

I love how Alaba has developed as our LB of the future and the reinforcing of our CBs but don't we need another wing back? Are Rafina and Contento really the answer? Who would you go after?

Posted by Paymon on 04/30/2012

So, is Dante all we'll get for the defense this Summer?

Posted by Gene Quagmire on 05/01/2012

A Gator?! I shan't be reading this again! :p

Posted by Joe Ponce on 05/01/2012

The mighty Florida gators are the king of college sports. Susie, you have to go to a gator football game @ the swamp and experience the greatest atmosphere in America! Go gators!

Posted by Kenny on 05/01/2012

An incredibly interesting and gripping night of fussball in Madrid. Ende gut, alles gut.

Not crazy about the new away kit. Nederlander orange? Ugh.

Posted by BayernGator on 05/01/2012

Hey Susie, I have a question about the line up for the champions league final, will Buyten be ready in time to take Badstuber's spot or will tymo get dropped back?
Auf gehts Bayern, and of course GO GATORS!

Posted by Samrin on 05/01/2012

I thought the jersey was pretty pathetic..:) And I hope we appear in traditional red on May 12 and May 19. I am awfully worried about May 19. I like you Susie don't see Robben anywhere else either. If he does move, it will be pretty pathetic. Expect a contract extension announced on May 20 (or 19th if we win which I hope we will considering heartbreak of two years ago). I will miss Butt quite a bit. DvB and Dante coming in helps. How are you dealing with the nerves leading up to May 12 and 19 Susie? I could do with some pointers.

Posted by Addison on 05/01/2012

I attend the University of Florida and I'm a Chelsea fan. See, we can get along!

Robben has always been known for his incendiary personality. Like Chelsea and Real Madrid, he seems like he may be a little petulant.

Posted by Ruud on 05/02/2012

Hey Susie,

First off, i don't know how much we paid for Dante, but i would've preferred Howedes over him, being versatile, younger, and of course German which can only be good for the National Team. And good for us in DVB extending his contract, we need depth!

Now, Arjen Robben is a D##K to say the least. I love him as a skillful football player, but that is not what it's all about, and it seems he gets into trouble with everyone! He needs to know he's not a Bayern Icon, nor the superstar of the team (we're full of those in every department). What the hell is wrong with him?!?!?!? if he doesn't want to stay, then off he goes, he's replaceable, and he should know that (or should be told so). I mean really what the F##K does he want?!? or it is maybe like you wrote, just looking to improve something in his contract, which other teams would've made it "pay as you play" considering how injury prone he is! SICK & TIRED!!

As for Butt; we love you, DANKE HANS-JORG BUTT!

Auf Gehts!

Posted by Ralph on 05/02/2012

My son is a recent Gator graduate both Bachelors and Masters. Came back home to the Atlanta market and can't get a job. So happy I spent all of that money :-) Seriously....glad to hear you're a Gator fan Susie.

I am so optimistic about a favorable result on the 19th. It would be devastating if we were to lose that game with the expectations being so high. I just hope that we put it away early so we can start the celebration early. I need to find a way to get to Munich on that day even knowing that I won't be able to get into the game. I assume you will find a way to get in Susie! I am so envious of your ability to attend these important games across Europe.

Posted by emmanuel ankrah on 05/02/2012

so who are going to play our back four against chelsea.i think boateng,van buyten,rafinha and lahm.also yhe most important thing is the absent of gustavo.who is next.is it anatoly or who.am talking about number 6.we need this cup

Posted by prerecordedlive on 05/02/2012

Way too many Gator fans in here. Didn't realize Gainesville and Munich were so close. :-\

We need defenders! I'm already nervous about the Final. Breno, Contento, VB? Who do we use?!

Posted by paboy on 05/02/2012

What is burno's condition

Posted by Kaiser on 05/02/2012

Buyten hasnt kicked the ball in over 3 months so it would be a bad idea to field him in our most important match of the season. A fit Buyten was molested by Inter Milan 2 seasons ago, I don't want to find out what Torres/Drogba would do to an unfit DvB.

Maybe Tymoschuk for CD While Schweini, Kroos and Muller holds the middle.

All left to Juup though

Posted by grudnik on 05/03/2012

Well, apparently the hideous white and orange jerseys did it: Robben officially extended his contract by 2 years.

Looking forward to seeing him in Bayern colors through 2015.

Posted by +Rudie on 05/05/2012

Hello Susie,
A;ways a pleasant read, with good humor.

But as far as chelsea goes (don't tell my wife I said that, after all the games they had, and still have to play, their ageing feet will be too weak to kick an empty BierKrug, let alone get the ball enough up-field to a lonely Torres.
After Madrid he is the lone Spaniard to keep at Bay, or should we keep him at Bay(ern) now that he showed a little of his worth?
Does Mario spekk Spanish?

Also Auf Geht's, dieses Mal muss es hin-hauen.

Rudie
Dubai

Posted by +Rudie on 05/05/2012

Hello Susie,
A;ways a pleasant read, with good humor.

Does Mario spekk Spanish?

Also Auf Geht's, dieses Mal muss es hin-hauen.

Rudie
Dubai

Posted by Nathan on 05/07/2012

Ahhh Susie, I liked you so much until you uttered those awful words. And I quote: "But, as a Florida Gator fan, I like the orange." We'll have to agree to disagree, as this Bayern fan went to UGA. Go Dawgs. Go Bayern.

Posted by Anonymous on 05/08/2012

As long as they don't come out with an all orange kit, I can deal. The black alternates this year looked really sharp and I wouldn't mind keeping them around for a while.

Posted by Battleofstamfordbridge on 05/11/2012

Vultures? Hey, we pay more.

Comments: